Monday, September 13, 2021

Yom Kippur, Oops I'm sorry!

Rosh Hashana we learned all about being sweet! But what happens when we don't act sweet? what happens when we make a mistake?

This week our focus turned to Yom Kippur. The big idea of Yom Kippur, is that we can always fix things up! Even if we make a mistake, we can ALWAYS make things better!


During circle time our puppet friends role played some scenarios of friends that made mistakes that we are familiar with! 
Bashing down another friends block tower and sitting in a seat that someone else was already sitting at. Our puppet friends showed us how to "fix it" after singing the "Oops i'm sorry song."



TTTO "where is thumbkin"
"Oops I'm sorry, 
oops I'm sorry,
what did I do? what did I do?
I didn't want to hurt you, I want to make it better,
I made a mistake,
I'll fix my mistake"

When we respond to behaviors that are "mistakes" by singing the "Oops I'm sorry song," it helps the children remember they need to "fix" their mistake.

Mini Shule Center

Yom Kippur is a day spent in Shule (synagogue), and in prayer. With this in mind, we set up a mini "Shule" for the children to get familiar with, and learn appropriate behaviors for when they are in a real shule.

                                               

Menachem, Shua & Yossi jumped right into the Rabbi Role, finding a hat, Kittel and Tallis!




Chana was happy to find a siddur and practice davening




WHITE: Yom Kippur Sensory & Art


On Yom Kippur we traditionally wear white, so we chose to use white as inspiration for art and sensory table activities this week! Corn starch and water is so fascinating to experience. It feels hard at first touch, but once our body heat stays on it, it changes its consistency, and becomes soft, and drippy.




My very own Machzor

The machzor is made up of words from our holy Alef Beis. We used our Alef Beis time this week to create our very own Machzor, and reminded the children that Hashem loves hearing them sing the names of the letters !

 



Slipper Match game

As a fun way for the children to learn the mitzvah of not wearing leather shoes on Yom Kippur, we prepared a slipper match game! The children were invited to find the right outline for a matching pair of slippers!




No comments :

Post a Comment